RE: Probes

From: Fred Wan
Subject: RE: Probes
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 12:40:03 +0200

I'm totally at a loss here... Where do I insert the code you supplied? In
the definition of the base class or the derived class? My guess is the
derived class. When I do so, the compiler can't resolve the method
getProbedClass(). It says it doesn't appear as a base class method... In the
ref guide are at least nine methods getProbedClass() which seem applicable
here (see below). All with the same text (right below), so inconclusive on
that basis:

"The getProbedClass method returns the class of the object that the set of
probes that constitute the probe map points at. "

>         VarProbe probeVariable (String name)
>         {
>             VarProbe varProbe = null;
>             Class baseClass = getProbedClass ();
>
>             do {
>                 varProbe =
>                     Globals.env.probeLibrary.getProbeForVariable$inClass
>                     (name, baseClass);
>                 baseClass = baseClass.getSuperclass ();
>             } while (varProbe == null && baseClass != null);
>             return varProbe;
>         }

Why doesn't this work:

  EmptyProbeMapImpl probeMapSimpleBug = new EmptyProbeMapImpl(aZone,
getClass());

  probeMapSimpleBug.addProbe(getProbeForVariable("bugColor"));
  probeMapSimpleBug.addProbe(getProbeForVariable("periodsSinceEaten"));

probeMapSimpleBug.addProbe(Globals.env.probeLibrary.getProbeForVariable$inCl
ass("xPos",super.getClass()));

  Globals.env.probeLibrary.setProbeMap$For(probeMapSimpleBug,getClass());

And in the description of the getProbeForVariable$inClass one can find:

The getProbeForMessage:inClass: method returns a probe that has been
"checked out" from the appropriate Probes in the probe library.

Was does "checked out" mean? I'm completely puzzled. All help is welcome.

Thanks,
Fred Wan.

Here are the potentiall relevant classes getProbedClass() is a method of:

swarm.objectbase.CustomProbeMapImpl

swarm.objectbase.ProbeMapImpl

swarm.objectbase.Probe

swarm.objectbase.EmptyProbeMapImpl