Re: Emacs/Swarm question

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Emacs/Swarm question
Date: 29 Dec 2000 11:39:16 -0800

PJ> He did that because, around cygwin 1.0, there was some blustering
PJ> from the company about how we all need to buy their CDs and they
PJ> were making some packaging mistakes that broke important programs.
PJ> After Marcus went to the trouble of fastening together all that
PJ> software, then Cygnus announced its current update/install system.

Their packaging system isn't capable of checking all the things that
need checking in order to do a normal Windows install.  It's not
anything like InstallShield.  The single build was motivated by not
being able to count on them to make timely releases of a complete
tested systems.  There is one important piece of software in the Cygnus
system and that is the Cygnus DLL.  The rest are builds of the stock
GNU software.  Building from source is a deterministic process so there
is no need to be neurotic about having our own binaries.