Re: What I've learned about decentralized scheduling and floating point

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: What I've learned about decentralized scheduling and floating point schedules
Date: 13 Aug 2000 10:39:20 -0700

PJ> He has shown me some code for his model that uses floating point
PJ> time and I think I understand it now.  Is this correct?

I believe your coverage is complete and correct.

PJ> Actually, more than that happens.  The Schedule creates a container
PJ> "action group" to hold this action and other actions that may be
PJ> inserted at time 2.

A minor nit: the ActionConcurrent container is only created as necessary.

PJ> [concGroupType setAutoDrop: 1];

Coding suggestion:  use YES and NO instead of 1 and 0 for booleans.

PJ> If I understand this correctly, and somebody here tells me so, or
PJ> corrects me, I'll make a small example program to complete my
PJ> decentralized scheduling odyssey that is pjrepeater.

Here's a Java example of that approach:

  http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.002/00152.html

PJ> I hasten to add that I don't think scheduling alone makes a model truly
PJ> asynchronous, because there are other design aspects required to truly
PJ> achieve an asynchronous design.  Thinking along the lines of that
PJ> exchange between Huberman and Glance and May and Nowak, it is also
PJ> important to have the "system" digest the impact of each agent's action
PJ> and make that environmental information available to the other agents in
PJ> order to justify the title of an asynchronous model.

However, using multiple seeds with either random fractional
scheduling or randomized concurrent schedules should provide an indication
whether there are consequential interdependencies...