Re: RH 6.2 & Swarm 2.1.1 problem

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: RH 6.2 & Swarm 2.1.1 problem
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 19:09:59 -0500

 It compiles
> just fine, after run it opens CTRL, Observer and ModelSwarm windows as
> usualy but after hit "next" or "start" button it opens "world" window for
> a split of a moment and end with this errors:-----------./bugStarting
> SWARMCreating ObserverProbeMap......done.Creating
> ModelProbeMap.........done.Parameter checkingSimulation start*** event
> raised for error: InvalidArgument*** function: nil_method(), file:
> /usr/local/src/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2.1.1.20000523/src/defobj/internal.m,
> line: 607The message `respondsTo:' was sent to nil.*** execution
> terminating due to
> error/usr/local/src/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2.1.1.20000523/src/defobj/Symbol.m:173
> -[Error(c) _raiseEvent:]Aborted (core dumped)------------ I tried build
> Swarm from source, install binaries from rpm and at last build new tcl/tk
> 8.2.3 from source and recompile my application but still can not make it
> work. I really apreciate any help.
> Thanks                                           Marek Polak I'm using:RH
> 6.2BLT 2.4gtcl/tk 8.2.3 build from sourceSwarm 2.1.1 (binaries or compiled
> from source)

1. Catch your breath. There is no need to rebuild swarm or go on a
tcl/tk adventure.
2. Read the error  message. Your program is trying to send a message to
a nil object. That is causing a crash. It is a new error message, the
older swarm ignored that mistake, but the new one enforces it.

3. Find the location of the code that causes this error.  Do so by
installing a better edition of gdb than RedHat provides (I have one in
my site) and then run your program  and when it crashes type "bt" and
scan the output from the top until it refers to a line in your code.  Go
to that line in your code, figure why a nil object is getting a message.