Re: Intall on Red Hat Linux

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Intall on Red Hat Linux
Date: 27 Sep 1999 14:10:08 -0600

PJ> I admire your pioneer spirit and determination to build your own
PJ> swarm.  But...

PJ> Alex has perfectly good RPMs on the SFI site, I think you should
PJ> try to install them.  They will tell you what RPMs you still need
PJ> to install in your system.  That's a big plus!  As I note below, I
PJ> think your RedHat install may be incomplete.

Just to add to Paul's advice, please do use the RPMs if at all
possible.  If you have a fresh Red Hat 6.0 install, it couldn't be
easier, they're designed for a `stock' (i.e. non-highly customized) RH
6.0 install.

I think some folks may be under the impression that the 2.0.1 RPMs
somehow necessitate a install one or other of the Java JDKs for Red
Hat - not so!

Just to clear up any possible confusion, here's the deal: the two
basic packages:

* swarm-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
* swarm-hdf5-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm

can both be installed *without* any Java jdk.  [In rpm-speak:
essentially they both `provide' the `swarm-base' `virtual' package].

`swarm-kaffe-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm' is an `add-on' package that will enable
Java-support for *either* of these packages.  (Of course `swarm-kaffe'
package *does* require kaffe to be installed, but you don't need
swarm-kaffe to get plain old vanilla Swarm Objective C support).

Eventually we will make HDF5 support in Swarm work in the same way (we
need to make changes to Swarm source, first, to make that happen).  So
you will be able to mix-and-match only the components you need, rather
than having to install a single package that has components you don't
necessarily want.

[Btw, the emacs packages for Red Hat work this way, you have the
following RPMs:

 emacs (the basic emacs)
 emacs-nox (only terminal support)
 emacs-X11 (X support)
 emacs-el (E-lisp source)

The comparison with Swarm is not exact, but you get the idea].

[...]

 --- Alex

--
  Alex Lancaster           |  e-mail: address@hidden