Re: *gdb* crashes when attempting to debug swarm app

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: *gdb* crashes when attempting to debug swarm app
Date: 27 Jul 1999 19:48:25 -0700

JA> I just tried debugging a swarm application on my RH 6 linux box
JA> and had the extremely disconcerting experience of watching gdb
JA> crash.

I suggest that you back up to the gdb-4.16 binary at SFI or build
a snapshot from Cygnus.   http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/

gdb 4.18 had a name-demangling bug that could result in crashes like that.
It was triggered by Swarm phase delimiter methods, so it is quite
possible no one in Redhat packaging land has seen the problem yet.

It's not hard to build gdb -- just configure, make, and make install
will drop the stuff in /usr/local.  Unless you've specifially
organized a different custom area /usr/local is a fine place to install
stuff like custom gdb versions.