Re: Problem with Obj-C was Anybody try CodeWarrior for Linux?

From: sme
Subject: Re: Problem with Obj-C was Anybody try CodeWarrior for Linux?
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:10:11 +0100

Dear Steve I,

I used to not understand Emacs. Now I do ... at least to the extent
that I get my work done with the minimum of fuss. I edit (even
remotely with ange-ftp) and compile code with it, typeset my
documentation, and ... Well, what else do you desire in an IDE? I'm
sure it could scratch my ass given the right <META>-x scratch-ass
macro!.

Your IDE is YOUR environment. Don't rubbish the tool because you can't
use it!

 ObjC may be almost dead. As a Swarm user through beta testing to now
 I, unreservedly, accept ObjC as the best language available for Swarm
 at the time of its creation. Actually, it's a fine language. It's an
 implementation of OOP (which C++, which *I* don't know, is reportly
 NOT) and offers run-time flexibility that ecologists (at least those
 who consider that the biosphere might be changeable) should find
 useful [Note: Philippe Laval has recently pointed out that ADA has
 competitive features]..

> By making the decision to only using GNU/Free products you have made the
> learning curve past the reach of people who would really like to use the
> product.

That's bullshit. What do you need .. The GNU/Free environment is the
only sane excuse for spending one's life chained to a VDU! What's
wrong ... don't your university computer science department support
Swarm? How about Ferret? Or R, or HDF, or BLT, or ... Well, if so,
that's the experience I've had.  I just learnt how to deal with
that. Seemed like a good idea at the time.  Actually, I like it!

Swarm version 2 will come with Java wrappers so even stupid¹ people
can use it! If you're an Windows person I feel your pain ... consider
*that* a flame!

¹ program-language disadvantaged

--
  Steve Emsley                    Ecology & Epidemiology Group
  address@hidden                   University of Warwick