Re: installing 1.4.1 on SuSE Linux 6.1 (help re objc?)

From: Matthew Aylward EG201 G219 SL CKR
Subject: Re: installing 1.4.1 on SuSE Linux 6.1 (help re objc?)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:59:09 +0800

Catherine Dibble wrote:

> hi Folks,
>
> Help?  Has anyone succeeded in making Swarm 1.4.1 happy on
> SuSE 6.1?  In particular, the egcs 1.1.2 <?>  Objective C seems to be
> handled completely differently and Swarm complains that it
> can't find Objective C libraries or link an Objective C program.
> Since there did not appear to be any objc libs or headers in egcs
> as installed, I installed the objc.rpm -- which may or may not be
> meant to work happily with egcs.
>
> In particular, this release creates:
> /usr/lib/libobjects
> /usr/include/objc/...
>                          /objects
>                           /Foundation
> all three of which objc, objects, and Foundation are directories
> within /usr/include that include header files it claims are
> needed for the libobjects library.
>
> This is all weird looking stuff compared to my trusty RedHat 5.2.
> Has anyone fought this battle yet, or have wise words of advice?
>
> (This is a new laptop with a non-standard external CD-ROM, so
> I can only install SuSE;  RH5.2 hangs even on the HD install <sigh>.
> Fwiw, my RedHat 5.2 links gcc as egcs 2.91.60 (egcs-1.1.1), and
> objc has never been a problem.  RH5.2 also has none of libobjects etc.
>
> Here's what I've done to make it as happy as possible so far:
> >From the standard development installation of SuSE 6.1:
>
> (1)  check that gcc on SuSE is egcs-2.91.66 (egcs 1.1.2 release)
> If there is a way for them to install egcs without Objective C,
> I don't know how to detect that after the fact.
>
> (2)  from the SuSE CD-ROM 1, in suse/contents, find links to
> RPMs to install:  automake, autoconf (=> aclocal) , autoheader, and objc
>
> (2)  find BLT 2.4 and png already fine in:   /usr/X11R6
> (so you   ./configure --with-bltlib=/usr/X11R6 --with-pnglib=/usr/X11R6 )
>
> (3)  install libffi into /usr/local
>
> I dearly hope I'm not the first one crazy enough to try this...
> any help would be most welcome, thanks!  8)
>
> Catherine
> *=============================================*
>  Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
>  and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of
>  courage--to move in the opposite direction.   -- Albert Einstein
>
>  Catherine Dibble                           www.econ.ucsb.edu/~cath
>  Department of Geography                                               UCSB
> *=============================================*

Catherine et. al.,
I too am attempting to get Swarm running on SuSE 6.1. I have been
running swarm on SuSE5.1 for a long time without hassle, but these new
gcc/egcs problems are becoming irritating.
I have got swarm to compile by adding the correct paths when prompted by
the configure script (mainly /usr/... and /usr/X11R6/... instead of
/usr/local/...). But when i try to compile my models I get a lot of
tkobjc errors.
I then collected the latest egcs source from the egcs home page and
compiled from scratch. It compiled perfectly without a errors or any
need for extra configure options. but still the same tkobjc errors!!!!
My next idea was to get the gcc versions that are on my (much hacked)
5.1 system. This uses gcc2.8.1, tcltk8.0, blt2.4 -- all compiled from
scratch. This approach is pretty long winded, but I will do anything to
ensure that I have a stable and reliable swarm setup.
Swarm is the basis of all my research over the last 18 months, and
hopefully for the next 3 years, so I want a good setup.
I am working on another machine right now so I don't have all the exact
details of versions etc..
Luckily I have kept my main machine running SuSE5.1, so it is not
holding up my work.
Any help to get around this will be greatly appreciated. Over the next
few weeks I will have to make a more concerted effort to get it working
on SuSE6.1. I want to update both my Linux machines to 6.1 as GRASS5.0
and several other apps run much better on 6.1.
I will watch the list, and if I can help I will.
Cheers,
Matt

--
Matt Aylward: <address@hidden> or <address@hidden>
         Linux Lover - OS for the people by the people.