Re: Objective-C and Java

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Objective-C and Java
Date: 25 May 1999 13:24:47 -0700

NG> Is there a way to "call" the Swarm
NG> libraries that are in Objective-C in a program that I've made in Java ???

Yes, in 2.0, Swarm can be loaded into a Java environment as a shared
library, and there will be .jar file of Java classes describing the
Swarm protocols, tagging all the existing Swarm methods as native
methods.  Objective C message forwarding is used to issue Java calls
from the scheduling machinery, and Java to Objective C calls are done
with stubs per JNI conventions.

NG> By the way, what's happening with Swarm 2.0 in Java ???

I'm working on it!  Shared libraries are needed for all platforms, as
well as complete support for building and dissecting generic method
calls and their return values.  Together, these two problems introduce
a lot of architecture-specific hacking, and have consumed a lot of
time [separate calling conventions and dynamic linking systems for
GNU/Linux, HPUX 9 and 10, Irix 5 and 6, Sparc Solaris, Alpha platforms
like Digital Unix, Windows 98 and NT, etc.]

Btw, PowerPC will be unsupported since I don't have access to a
capable box configured with anything Unix-like.  I expect that
[pain-in-the] AIX won't be supported either, since even the Objective C
compiler is broken for AIX.