Re: Type Casting

From: Doug Donalson
Subject: Re: Type Casting
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 19:06:43 -0700

Just for your info, the reason I am doing this is that each 2-D grid
site in my model is a sub-population of a metapopulation and I need
to instrument each one as well as the model global output.  As opposed
to making one HUGH file, I am using the x,y's of the cells to create seperate

file names for each cell.  (Then I will just have around 440 files per run!)

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> D3> int x; char y;
>
> D3> x=1; y=(char)x; putchar(y);
>
> D3> The output of this is "got 1".
>
> It should output a Control-A.

but it doesn't, it outputs "got 1" but I realized what I did
wrong.(char)(1+48).  It's been a long time since I did anything at this
level.
Sigh... I'm losing my touch.

> D3> While I'm at it, I tried the "string" in Swarm and ran into a
> D3> problem.  Defined as a String * the compilier flags an error.
>
> The usage is like so:
>
>  id <String> string = [String create: globalZone setC: "someString"];

That's correct, I change the definition to a protocall as per above andused
the above statement to create it.  BUT:

[string appendC: "someAdditionToString"]

gets a message that String doesn't recognize appendC:

This is not critical to my app any more but it is bothersome none the less.