Re: TkExtra, a comment

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: TkExtra, a comment
Date: 26 Jan 1998 13:00:48 -0800

ST> Thus, tcl/tk/blt *must* be maintained in parallell with the Java
ST> version for a period of time (a calendar year? an Internet year?),
ST> and during that time any improvements made to the Java version
ST> must be propagated back to tcl/tk/blt.

Until there are features in the Java version that are not available in
the Tcl/Tk/BLT/tclobjc version, I can't see any motivation for
deprecating the current version.  I expect we can support the current
setup indefinitely (at least at the level we have been).

ST> b) Since tcl/tk 8.0 are rather different from 7.6/4.2 (AFAIK), it
ST> would be reasonable for the final tcl/tk-compatible version of
ST> Swarm to be based on 8.x of tcl/tk/blt.

I can't see a need for this.  There is already logic in
tkobjc for switching between BLT 2.1 and BLT 2.3, there was just a
tiny bit more needed for BLT8.0-unoff.

ST> c) Abandoning the tcl/tk/blt compatible version of Swarm should
ST> not happen until all current users report success in getting the
ST> Java version going -- or at least, until all supported target
ST> platforms have been successfully tackled by a user or two ...

ST> [Now bring on the flames!]

Further, what I've seen so far is that installation problems are not
Tcl/Tk/BLT/tclobjc issues per se.  [Debian, Redhat packaging blah blah blah...]