JIT? [Re: Interesting piece: Objective-C on Java VM?]

From: Ken Cline
Subject: JIT? [Re: Interesting piece: Objective-C on Java VM?]
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 10:50:25 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Rob Kewley wrote:

> Rod Price wrote:
> >
> > This is no longer true.  If you pay attention to such things as makingyour
> > methods final, Java code run through a good JIT (Symantec Cafe
> > 2.0, for example) runs just as fast as C++ on our signal processing
> > benchmarks.  It beats MS C++ 5.0 on I/O speed, and Symantec C++
> > (forgot the version) on processor speed.
> >

> This is potentially good news for developers.  I am showing my
> ignorance, but what does JIT stand for - Java Interpreter?

JIT - Just-In-Time Compiler compiles bytecode into an
executable; the output from a JIT Compiler is, of course,
no longer necessarily platform independent.

My $.02:
-------
Another issue with Java is language stability/maturity. For
example, if you wish to create applets then the conservative
approach, for now, is to stay with the Java 1.0 releases
because Java 1.1 support in some browsers is questionable.

Unfortunately, the 1.0 releases do not offer the dynamical
binding capabilities found in Java 1.1 RMI (Remote Method
Invocation) package.

However, I expect most browsers will evolve fairly quickly
to become completely 1.1 compliant.  Also, wrt Swarm, this
issue isn't very relevant because it is doubtful one would
try to provide the entire Swarm engine as an applet.

Ken.

Ken Cline                             address@hidden
SAIC                                 VOICE (410) 571-0413
Annapolis, MD                          FAX (301) 261-8427