Probe support and getInstanceName

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Probe support and getInstanceName
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 16:04:26 -0400 (EDT)

I saw this under the probe interface docs:

-(const char*) getInstanceName
       If you want to put a specific title on the ProbeDisplay window
       associated with your object,
       simply override this method. By default it returns the class name
       of the object. This is why
       the default ProbeDisplay window title is always the class name of
       the probed object.

When I did this, and then I do something like:
   [probeDisplayManager createProbeDisplayFor: o];
where o points to some object, I get the usual probe
window with the generic class name in the top bar, but in the
little sunken button in the top left I see the string
returned by my getInstanceName method.
But, if I then click on that sunken button and bring up
the more elaborate probe for that object, then I see my
getInstanceName string at the top of the window and as
the icon name (as I expected).

So....is this the way its supposed to be?
I would rather it bring up the probe with the name
I give it at the top of the window (and in the icon)
in the first place,  rather than having to bring up
the more elaborate probe.

thanks.
 - r

Rick Riolo                       address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
1061 Randall Lab     University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html