Re: Good book on Objective C?

From: Benedikt Stefansson
Subject: Re: Good book on Objective C?
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 21:10:40 +0200

I think I'll jump in here since no one else has responded to this
thread.

There are very few books on Objective C for a simple reason; since it is
simply
a superset of the C language, you can cover the language in detail in
10-20 pages. The books I have seen on Objective-C spend at least 2/3 of
the page count on a general discussion of Object-Oriented Programming.

The best book on Objective C can be browsed on the web from the NeXT
site. The link has been on the Swarm documentation page from way back
when:
   http://www.next.com/Pubs/Documents/OPENSTEP/ObjectiveC/objctoc.htm

This book went out of print but is now back in print and available from
NeXT and the publisher, Addison-Wesley. Ordering information can be
found on the NeXT site.

The other Objective-C book that I am familiar with is also from
Addison-Wesley:
    Objective-C
    Object-Oriented Programming Techniques
    Lewis J. Pinson & Richard S. Wiener
    ISBN 0-201-50828-1

It is probably still in print, at least I found a copy in LA a few
months ago. The book is not terribly useful, again the bulk of it is a
general discussion of OOP and some detailed information about certain
parts of the fundamental classes in the Stepstone libraries.

Brad Cox, who designed Objective-C, also published a couple of books on
OOP, but from casual browsing I gathered that they would not be worth
buying just to learn the language.

My suggestion is to spend your money on a good C language reference
and/or textbook, and print out the relevant pages from the NeXT book on
the web.

-Benedikt