Walls and Communication

From: dsumpter
Subject: Walls and Communication
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 10:46:58 GMT

Hi Glen,

Reply to the (Error Creating Objects)

In my Bee simulation Walls do two things: Occupy space and reduce the
heatflow through the space they occupy. The simulation I am doing
investigates if a cluster of bees can regulate its temperature when
each bee bases its behaviour only on the information it gets about its
local temperature. In this way, a bee will only know a wall exists if
it bumps into it, although it will sense different heat sensations due
to the wall.

With the emergence of language, I suppose, you could do something
similar. It is only the bees that transmit heat with an ambient
temperature outside the hive. A language model would involve the
transmision of messages whcih may somehow be reduced in signal
strength to a greater or lesser degree by objects(walls) in their
path?

As for gaining a sense of self my bees seem more inclined to bunch
together and form the traditional superorganism.......

David.