Java Swarm?

From: Jason L . Asbahr
Subject: Java Swarm?
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 16:55:46 -0500 (CDT)

Greetings!

How about a Java version of Swarm?  I love Objective C, but a
Java implementation of Swarm might solve some of the issues
brought up here recently regarding the multiple version-dependent
pieces of a Swarm installation (GCC, Tcl/Tk, etc).

Some points:

- Java feels a lot like Objective C.  Though I haven't yet personally
  ported Objective C code to Java, friends of mine who work at Lighthouse
  Design (recently purchased by Sun) report surprise and pleasure at
  how easy it was to port their ObjC code over to Java.

- The Java AWT provides all the UI functionality that Tk does, so UI elements
  should not be difficult to recreate.

- Java is touted as "platform independent", and if it's not truly
  that today, at least it stands a good chance of it in the near future.

- Versant is about to release a Java front-end to their extremely cool
  object oriented database product, which could be used to create persistent
  swarms.  (Check out http://www.versant.com for general info)

Thanks,

Jason Asbahr                    808 Sul Ross  Suite 7
Reactive Systems                Houston, Texas  77006
address@hidden              (713) 942-7937  voice