swarm-modeling

[Swarm-Modelling] [fwd] ABMs with non-uniform spaces?

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] [fwd] ABMs with non-uniform spaces?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 05:59:29 -0700

Hi folks,

I'm forwarding a query from a colleague of mine here at at the
U. Arizona about previous work in ABMs (either in Swarm or other
tools) that use non-uniform spaces.  I know of a few models that
incorporate different kinds of spaces, I believe Tony Hunt and
colleagues at UCSF were doing something like this at one stage with
Swarm.

Please reply to the list, I'll collate the responses and forward them
on to him.

Cheers,
Alex

--- Begin Message --- Subject: ABMs Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:34:04 -0700
Alex -

I am working with a collaborator of mine on an ABM. He has a pretty nice model
for creating receptor distributions at the neuromuscular junction based on a
few simple rules. I was wondering whether you know of any ABM work where space
is not isotropic / translational symmetry is broken? Specifically, instead of
just having rules to do with whether a neighbouring cell is occupied or not,
what if I had a mesh - say irregular and with larger structures than the main
one for my agents - overlaid and there were barriers for entry or exit
_on_top_of_the_normal_rules_ for neigbouring cells? Has anyone done something
like that to your knowledge?

Cheers for your help,

Oli

Oliver L.A. Monti