swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Mean Field Theory

From: gepr
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Mean Field Theory
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 08:24:06 -0700

Neither of these terms is adequate.  They both rely too much on
metaphors that are misleading, even if they have unambiguous
definitions in their respective domains of origin.  (E.g. one could
argue that the "mixing" metaphor doesn't describe a "soup" model,
either.  I can't imagine ham-piece4000, which sits on the right top of
the stew kettle communicating with kidney-bean399, which sits on the
left bottom of the kettle.)

A much better term than "soup", "mean field", "well-stirred",
"well-mixed", or "panmictic" is "fully connnected".  This is true
especially because communication in ABMs, for the most part, is really
concerned with topology not space.  And there are equivalently more
appropriate terms for many of the other concepts like demes,
compartments, etc.  The language of graphs can also pull double duty
and fold right into the next most useful language for ABM, which is
programming and computation.

The only time that using the language of graphs brings trouble is
when talking explicitly about discretizing a (seemingly) continuous
magnitude.  At that point, things like fields are more efficient
tokens.

Of course, the caveat is that when one is popularizing a subject,
ambiguities are tolerated because bridges have to be built between
lexicons.