swarm-modeling

mining sugarscape

From: Sharon Gifford
Subject: mining sugarscape
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:35:29 -0400

I want to adapt sugarscape so that after an agent visits a site, it continues
to generate "sugar" for that agent, as if the agent had set up an ongoing
mining operation that continues to operate while the agent leaves to explore
for additional sites.  However, others can also mine the same site, reducing
the amount of sugar available for others who mine the site.  Each agent can
return to the site to improve the performance of that agent's mine.  I have the
Multi2D files for multiple occupancy from the Swam http site and Paul Johnson's
"culture", and will probably use a listOfMines like the listOfFriends in
hello-world to keep track of each agent's mines.  However, each cite now seems
to be an object itself, whose behavior changes each period depending on how
many agents have visited it.  Is it best to create a pair of .h and .m files
for a class of "cites" objects?  Has anyone done anything like this before.
I'm still a novice with Swarm and very afraid to try this alone.

Sharon
Prof. Sharon Gifford
Faculty of Management
Department of Finance and Economics
Co-Director Center for Entrepreneurial Management
Rutgers University
180 University Avenue
Newark, NJ 07102
973-353-1646