swarm-hackers

Re: [swarm-hackers] Agents & Threads

From: Nima Talebi
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Agents & Threads
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 21:35:34 +1100

Thanks Bill.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Bill Northcott <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Nima

As I remember it, it was a specific design goal for Swarm that simulations be deterministic or more correctly pseudo random.  Given a certain starting point for the RNG, a given model should always follow the same path.  That is the ONLY source of randomness should be the RNG.

Once you let the path followed by the code be random it could be difficult to separate the dynamics of the model from that of the implementation, and it is the model you are trying to investigate.

Updating a collection of agents could still be done in multiple threads but the outcome (for the model) must be independent of the thread completion order.  It may not be worth overhead unless the agent update is particularly expensive.

Bill