swarm-hackers

Re: [swarm-hackers] swarm 2.3.0 release

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] swarm 2.3.0 release
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 18:03:13 -0500

Alex Lancaster wrote:
"SC" == Scott Christley  writes:

[...]

SC> I installed a completely new ubuntu 8.10 along with tcl/tk 8.4 and
SC> the blt-dev package.  Swarm fails to compile as it cannot find
SC> tcl8.5, so essentially the blt package on ubuntu does not support
SC> tcl8.4.  I suppose maybe this was a packaging decision, we could
SC> file a ubuntu bug and ask them to provide a 8.4 compatible
SC> package, or provide one ourselves.

SC> I'm not sure if moving Swarm to tcl/tk 8.5 is an easy or hard
SC> task.

Moving to tcl/tk 8.5 will be necessary, at least on Fedora, at some
point.  Rawhide (soon-to-be Fedora 11) just switched over to 8.5, I
believe.  I have been planning for sometime to submit official
packages for Swarm to Fedora, as I'm already maintaining several other
packages there:

 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Alexlan

Since it sounds like Paul Johnson has switched to Ubuntu, I'd be happy
to pick up the Fedora torch.  I can also be a conduit for any patches
for packages that Swarm depends on (e.g. blt).  I have commit access
to a wide number of packages and can work with the Fedora maintainers
to get patches into packages (an/or request co-maintainershiop of
those packages if the current Fedora maintainer is not responsive)
and/or upstreamed if necessary.

Awesome! I don't mind a bit, especially since you are a registered guy. I have some Fedora and Centos machines, and have built RPMs when needed. But I'm running Ubuntu on my laptop, and am happy to let you package for Fedora. If you do that, then I can just take your SRPM and make for Centos/RHEL.

As far as tcl/tk8.5 is concerned, I can certify that I am able to build Swarm against tcltl8.5, but the attempt to run seg faults, as I mentioned in the hacker list a few days ago. Rather than try to understand what's wrong with Swarm and 8.5, I just started working on making tcl/tk8.4 work on ubuntu.

I'm willing to try to help, as usual, but i lack the training & framework to really deal with the tcl/tk usages in Swarm.
pj

Alex