swarm-hackers

[swarm-hackers] ObjC runtime abstraction

From: Scott Christley
Subject: [swarm-hackers] ObjC runtime abstraction
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 19:52:01 -0400

Hello hackers,

If anybody gets CVS emails, you may have noticed that I've been committing some major changes to Swarm, albeit on a separate branch. I've been working on creating an abstraction interface for the ObjC runtime library, and having Swarm use that interface instead of directly manipulating the ObjC runtime. The motivation for doing this work is my long-standing goal to get Swarm to work on Mac OSX using the Apple ObjC runtime. With the release of OSX Leopard, Apple made a significant change to the ObjC runtime, dubbing it version 2.0. One of the fundamental changes is that all of the objc associated data structures like for classes, methods and instance variables have made opaque; programs can no longer access the fields directly in the data structure. Instead Apple provides functions for accessing this data.

As a result, the current Swarm code cannot be directly ported to Apple ObjC 2.0, so I proposed a re-architecture of Swarm so that it used a functional interface to the ObjC runtime. This is work funded by SDG. I'm posting this email to let everybody know about my progress with some design notes, what is left to be done, and any outstanding issues.

One of the core capabilities of Swarm is the create-phase protocol. While end-users likely do not use this functionality, it is fundamental to the internal organization of the Swarm code. One of the design goals is to allow objects to customize themselves when they are being created. The implementation has an object changing its class (going through phases), allowing it to be customized during each phase, then finalized with that final object being returned to the application. This capability requires that new classes be dynamically created at runtime and for objects to change their class.

The old Swarm architecture implementation utilized a number of facts about the GNU ObjC runtime:

* objc class data structure is public.
* objc runtime has no formal functionality for creating a new class, all one does is allocate an objc class data structure, then populate it with appropriate values. * some of the fields in the objc class data structure are under- utilized by the objc runtime, leaving them open for programs to use them for their own purpose.

Further more, Swarm uses an overlay technique with an ObjC class, specifically DefClass in defobj, so that the memory layout of the instance variables matches the objc class data structure, thus allowing instances of DefClass to correspond to new ObjC classes.

To re-architecture Swarm so that it uses a functional interface to the ObjC runtime library requires eliminating this overlay technique such that DefClass instances are separate from any new ObjC classes. Besides this major change, other minor changes involve using functions to access things like the class name, superclass, methods and instance variables instead of accessing the class data structure directly.

I have completed all of these changes (as far as I can tell) and have Swarm working with the new ObjC runtime abstraction interface for the GNU runtime on Linux. My next task is to get this working for the Apple runtime.

The new Swarm architecture isn't much different from the old, there is just addition of an extra pointer hop (and/or hash lookup) to move from the actual ObjC runtime class to the phase definition structure (i.e. BehaviorPhase instance).

* The global singleton classes, like OrderedSet, Activity, etc etc. now point to the actual ObjC class created within the runtime, not to a constructed DefClass instance. The exception to this are the implemented Types which never actually get instantiated. * The classData structure which holds additional meta data for ObjC classes is expanded and is now hashed with the pointer to the ObjC class in the runtime instead of the "class number" which is not well- defined on Apple. * The classID variable with the classData structure points to the actual ObjC class. * Instances of BehaviorPhase still represent a phase of a class, but the instance is no longer an overlay for the actual ObjC class, instead the definingClass instance variable points to the actual ObjC class for the phase. The nextPhase instance variable still points to the next BehaviorPhase.

Essentially by maintaining pointers that go both ways, Swarm can access the ObjC class, the class meta-data (in classData structure), and the class phases (in BehaviorPhase instances), from any of the other structures.

hashLookup(Actual ObjC class) --> classData structure
classData(classID) --> Actual ObjC class
classData(initialPhase) --> BehaviorPhase instance
BehaviorPhase(definingClass) --> Actual ObjC class
BehaviorPhase(nextPhase) --> BehaviorPhase instance

It is hard to give much detail about all of the complexities of the defobj functionality in a short email, so I apologize if this doesn't all make complete sense.

I encourage anybody feeling brave to try compiling Swarm from this branch and test out your applications.

cheers
Scott