swarm-gis

Re: some GIS links and comments

From: Jim Westervelt
Subject: Re: some GIS links and comments
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 17:41:23 -0600

>GRASS, like Idrisi, is limited to raster-only, is no longer free,
>and was never particularly user- or developer- friendly.  So I
>have trouble seeing advantages in pursuing this.  But that's
>only my two cents re GRASS, and perhaps someone closer
>to GRASS may care to comment?

GRASS has had a stong vector capability since about '85.  It also has
significant image processing capabilities.

GRASS releases were ended by the parent organization - the Construction
Engineering Research Lab a few years ago.

A new GRASS 4.2 release has been made by Baylor University.  The UNIX version,
I believe is free with source code.  A PC port sells for about $100.  GRASS 5.0
is scheduled for release soon by Baylor.  Their intent is to support the
University community in this way.  Check: http://www.baylor.edu/~grass/

Source code has always been open (that is, free) for the UNIX version.  That
has made it quite developer friendly.  Baylor is continuing this tradition.
Their GRASS page states:  "GRASS is a public-domain raster-based GIS, vector
GIS, image processing system, graphics production system, and spatial modeling
system. Download our source codes and binaries for UNIX and now MS-Windows. If
you have any questions or comments, send them to us at: address@hidden"

LAS (www.las.com) in Canada markets GRASSLAND, based on GRASS, for about $900.
Extensive user interfaces and a powerful ability to directly read about 15
different formats make it attractive, despite the cost.

discussion of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
   and their integration or use with Swarm.  For list administration
   needs (esp. [un]subscribing), please send a message to
   <address@hidden> with "help" in the body of the message.