swarm-gis

first attempts

From: Paul W. Box
Subject: first attempts
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 17:19:55 -0500

Hello list

Since this list has not had any traffic as to date, I don't feel any
problem about starting with what may be a bonehead observation.

I have finally pulled out the grass.tar.Z file and started on my first
attempts at making the demo work.  My first observations are these:

1- it appears that you need the grass source files.  As all I had were
the pre-compiled binaries, I went ahead and downloaded the sources so
that I will have the necessary libraries in the path somewhere.  It
appears that they will have to be compiled before they will work with
swarm.

2- The example in the interface_docs.txt makes a reference to a file
called 'LIB.solaris5.5'.  Is there anything in the code that is specific
to a solaris machine, or can an equivalet library for linux be
substituted?

3- It appears that the demo was made for an earlier version of swarm.
When I first edited the makefiles and typed 'make', I got the following
output:

> make
gcc -c -g -Wall -Wno-import -I/proj/swarm/include -I/usr/include/tcl
main.m
In file included from Grass2d.h:2,
                 from main.m:27:
gis.h:297: warning: `YES' redefined
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2/include/objc/objc.h:40: warning: this
is the l
ocation of the previous definition
gis.h:298: warning: `NO' redefined
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2/include/objc/objc.h:41: warning: this
is the l
ocation of the previous definition
main.m: In function `main':
main.m:213: `simControl' undeclared (first use this function)
main.m:213: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
main.m:213: for each function it appears in.)
main.m:220: `SwarmPlan' undeclared (first use this function)
main.m:224: warning: cannot find method.
main.m:224: warning: return type for `start' defaults to id
main.m: In function `doForm':
main.m:250: `SimParameters' undeclared (first use this function)
main.m:250: `simParameters' undeclared (first use this function)
main.m:250: warning: statement with no effect
main.m:256: `Parameter' undeclared (first use this function)
main.m:256: parse error before `p'
main.m:264: `p' undeclared (first use this function)
main.m:266: `simControl' undeclared (first use this function)
make: *** [main.o] Error 1

I remember that simControl and SwarmPlan are things that were dropped
before the public release.  I believe that SimParameters had the same
fate.  I am now looking at how to code my way around this.  Has anyone
else tried this and just not said anything?  I would appreciate anyone's
input in this direction.

I will keep the list updated as to my progress.

--
/*  Paul Box                      |        Cogito ergo                */