summer-of-code

Re: [gnu-soc] [GSoC] wan to know how to engage in open-source software

From: Darshit Shah
Subject: Re: [gnu-soc] [GSoC] wan to know how to engage in open-source software
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 11:45:10 +0200

Hi Chang,

The DNS-over-HTTPS project you mentioned is a part of GNU Wget and I would like
to invite you over to address@hidden in case you are interested in discussing
that project or anything else related to GNU Wget.

This mailing list is a generic list for the GNU Project. So, you should ideally
speak to the developers of the specific GNU programs that you are interested
in.

I will answer some your queries here in the hope that they may help someone
else stumbling upon this list as well.

Each program is different, so there is no set strategy about how you should
approach dealing with a large, new codebase. The best way would be to discuss
it on the development lists for those projects. Since the maintainers /
developers of a specific program can give you the best guidelines to
understanding its code. In general, all the developers / maintainers of the
various programs are very open to newcomers and will try and help you out as
much as possible.

To work on open source software, there are no requirements. And the specific
knowledge usually depends on the program you're interested in. For example, for
GNU Wget which offered the DoH project mentioned earlier, you would probably
want to know the basics of writing code in C along with some knowledge about
the networking stack. If you have the time, apart from practicing programming,
I would recommend looking into software debugging. You should know how to use
tools like GDB and valgrind. These are topics that are almost never taught in a
university, but are crucial if you want to be productive as a developer.

* Zhao Chang <address@hidden> [180514 14:38]:

--
Thanking You,
Darshit Shah