summer-of-code

Last-minute proposals, and proposal scoring

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Last-minute proposals, and proposal scoring
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 16:27:41 -0700

Hi all,

It seems we've received several proposals today. Please provide feedback
on them as appropriate, and as soon as possible. The deadline for
completed student proposals is April 9, 19:00 UTC - that's tomorrow! So
if you have any students you've been conversing with, but who have not
yet submitted a proposal, please do everything possible to make sure
they submit it in time. My understanding is that proposals which have
been submitted before the deadline will continue to be editable (perhaps
after explicit mentor approval to edit, IIRC from previous years).

A note on scoring: Don't get caught up with actual values, or how the
score compares to scores on other proposals across different projects. I
have to rescore everything anyway once we get our slots and decide which
proposals are accepted, so please don't hyper-score everything. The most
important thing is to see a score of any kind, positive or negative,
from appropriate mentors from the project, so that I can see whether the
mentor liked or disliked a proposal (I will still want to verify with
the mentor, but it helps to see the score). The second-most important
thing is probably to try to get different proposals in the _same_
project scored relatively, so I can see which proposals are best-favored
by the appropriate mentors.

(There's nothing pressing on getting the scoring done yet: but we do
want to be thinking about it so it's all squared away in time for final
acceptance.)

Thanks!

--
Micah J. Cowan