Re: [STUMP] vertical mode-line?

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: Re: [STUMP] vertical mode-line?
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:51:12 +0000

Thank you for the replies so far.

Michael's idea looks promising: one could put something like an emacs
frame in there with the mode-line text in it; perhaps that's the best
solution.

I kind of like my current mode-line as well, though, with its simplicity
and the obvious Emacs heritage.

So I might just see, when I get time of course, if I can just change the
positioning and sizing code in resize-mode-line and do something with
update-mode-line-position to allow for a fixed-width vertical mode-line
at the right or left. The formatting, such as whether text fits in the
available width would be up to the user to sort out.

Incidentally, I see that there is a *mode-line-position* variable that
does lead to its being placed at the bottom when set to :bottom; so just
need to add :left and :right options.

Yours sincerely,
--
Jim Ottaway