[STUMP] Refactoring StumpWM's useful bits

From: David Bjergaard
Subject: [STUMP] Refactoring StumpWM's useful bits
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 10:35:46 -0500

Hi All,

There was some talk on the issue tracker a while back about factoring
out StumpWM's useful bits so they could be used in other projects.  In
addition there are some parts of stumpwm which have obvious boundaries
(floating vs tiled groups).

The arguments for are obvious.  The arguments against are:
- Increases StumpWM's external dependencies
- Complicates the build process
- Increases barrier for people packaging StumpWM for distros

I'm thinking that most of the arguments against could be glossed over
with appropriate Makefile rules.  I'm open to other suggestions.  I
suppose some sort of lispy solution might be in order.  I think we would
have to handle the following cases:

- users already have dependencies installed via quicklisp
- users have dependencies installed via distro's package manager
- users don't have any dependencies and need them checked out.

I don't want to reimplement quicklisp in stumpwm.  I don't want to
depend on quicklisp for the actual build process.  (Right now its used
to get dependencies, but as part of the pre-reqs not the actual build
that is driven by make).

I'm hoping we can have a discussion here to help codify a way forward,
because I think there is great value in having the packages available
for other lisp hackers (myself included for a project I have cooking).

    Dave