[STUMP] 0.9.9 Performance Regression

From: Jim Greenleaf
Subject: [STUMP] 0.9.9 Performance Regression
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 15:30:50 -0600

In my excitement about the module architecture, I updated from stumpwm
0.9.8 to the tagged 0.9.9, and have encountered a performance
regression:

Frequently, my UI hangs, including mouse movement and text entry into
emacs (the keyboard events don't get queued up, they are simply lost),
and if I have a process monitor open before this occurs, I can briefly
see my Xorg.bin server pinning a CPU in kernel-space, after I start
getting UI output again.

In terms of things I am doing atypically, I do have 61 windows open (I
had around 120 back in version 0.9.8 with no issues) with 8 actively
displayed at any given time, across four screens.

What steps do you lot suggest taking to more accurately isolate this
regression?

________________________________

Confidentiality Notice
The information transmitted in this electronic mail (e-mail) is the property of
Belvedere Trading LLC. This e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain material that is confidential, privileged
or otherwise protected by law. Any review, retention, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking any action in reliance upon, this
STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this e-mail in error, please alert the
sender by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail and any attachments in their
entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.

All messages sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted
by applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal
policies and to protect our business. Emails are not secure and cannot be
guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or
destroyed, or contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if
you communicate with us by email.