Re: [STUMP] undefine-key not working for me

From: Joram Schrijver
Subject: Re: [STUMP] undefine-key not working for me
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:19:25 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014, at 10:14 PM, Niels wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have rebinded some keys in my stumpwmrc. For example I have rebinded
> "w" to show "windowslist" instead of "windows". But I also want to
> remove the old keybinding. This is what I have in my stumpwmrc:
>
> (undefine-key *root-map* (kbd "w"))
> (undefine-key *root-map* (kbd "\""))
> (define-key *root-map* (kbd "w") "windowlist")
>
> "C-t w" now gives me "windowlist", but the old keybinding for windowlist
> on "C-t "" still works, and both " and w is listed on the command
> overview
> on "C-t ?".

First of all, DEFINE-KEY would just override any previous bindings, so
you don't need to first UNDEFINE-KEY them. Now onto the problem.
Calling UNDEFINE-KEY removes the binding from the specified keymap, but
the binding on " doesn't come from *ROOT-MAP*. It is defined in
*GROUP-ROOT-MAP*, which isn't exported from the STUMPWM package (The
default binding on w is also defined in *GROUP-ROOT-MAP*, so the first
UNDEFINE-KEY doesn't actually work either). If it's important for the
binding to be removed you could specify STUMPWM::*GROUP-ROOT-MAP* in
place of *ROOT-MAP* of the second call to UNDEFINE-KEY. Alternatively
you could submit a pull request for *GROUP-ROOT-MAP* and possibly some
of the group-specific keymap symbols to be exported from the STUMPWM
package.

> As I understand the manual that should be the correct syntax to
> undefine a key, but I seem to have missed something, since it does not
> work for me. What have I missed?

UNDEFINE-KEY is basically not needed anymore, because DEFINE-KEY with a
COMMAND argument of NIL removes the binding. UNDEFINE-KEY now does
exactly that.