Re: [STUMP] stumpwm FreeBSD port

From: David Bjergaard
Subject: Re: [STUMP] stumpwm FreeBSD port
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 10:18:52 -0500

Hi Joseph,

I'm really excited that stumpwm is starting to get attention from distro
maintainers!  Our current stable release is 0.9.8, and its official url
is https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm/archive/0.9.8.tar.gz

Since I plan on using the same versioning scheme as well as github's
release feature, the url you propose:
https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm/archive/VERSION.tar.gz
Is correct.
> Since the code from head of the repository is typically quite stable,
> would more frequent releases (maybe every quarter) be possible?
I don't know how much sense this makes.  I have no way of guaranteeing
that the development will operate at a pace which would justify releases
every quarter.  Right now I come up with a set of milestone
features/bugfixes and when those all get closed in github, I issue a
pre-release.  Then after a week or two of testing I make the official
release.

> Thanks,
>
> Joseph
>
> * In case you're not familiar, FreeBSD ports automate the installation
> of third party software.  A user does something like
I'm not familiar with FreeBSD, but I am curious how dependencies are
handled... They must be defined in a Makefile?

> cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/stumpwm && make install clean
>
> and the tarball is downloaded, compiled and installed.

Thanks again for reaching out!

Cheers,

    Dave