Re: [STUMP] Use two monitors for StumpWM

From: Michael Raskin
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Use two monitors for StumpWM
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 14:18:00 +0400

Ouch, the conversation was not copied to the list.

>Michael Raskin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> <address@hidden>)
>>
>>>Hi Michael,

>>>I have seen in the mailing list that you are always trying to help
>>>people with problems setting up two monitors.
>>
>> I _do_ use dual-monitor setup from time to time after all.
>>
>>>Whatever I tried up to now: I can operate only on one monitor. It seems
>>>that StumpWM does not see my 2nd monitor. The mode line is on the HDMI1
>>>screen (that is fine). But I see now way to move a window over to the
>>>VGA screen.
>>>
>>>Could you please give more details about the necessary commands?
>>
>> Have you mastered using «split» command in StumpWM? It is described
>> reasonably in them manual. Line between your monitors is just like
>> a split, but unremovable.
>
>I don't use split that often since I have a rather static window layout
>(mostly one window visible at a time)

>> launch programs in various frames.
>>
>> You can also use Alt-Direction instead of Direction to _move_ current
>> window between frames (including between outputs)
>
>These commands are really nice!
>
>One thing Thing that I need to solve now is the following:
>I use several groups but I want to keep a given window on one monitor,
>no matter what group I am using on the other monitor.

I do not know any way to ensure this behaviour with stock StumpWM

You could define custom group-switching commands that also pull the
needed window. Personally, I use a big set of custom modules on top of
StumpWM, and I have 3 areas of independent switching on my primary
monitor (relatively similar to what you want).

http://mtn-host.prjek.net/viewmtn/stumpwm-tagging/branch/changes/com.ignorelist.401a0bf1.raskin.stumpwm-config