Re: [STUMP] Stumpwm-devel Digest, Vol 98, Issue 2

From: Bill Zimmerly
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Stumpwm-devel Digest, Vol 98, Issue 2
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 01:27:58 -0500

Hi Stefan!

> Did you setup some window placement rules?

I didn't. In this context, how does a frame differ from a window?

But be that as it is, I'll try out the code you showed me. (Thanks!)

- Bill

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 1:18 AM, Stefan Reichör <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Bill,

> I'm close guys, but I just don't know how to solve the latest problem. Here is the code that I have
> at the end of my .stumpwmrc file:
>
> ;; Now to load a saved desktop and fill it up! (Cross your fingers.)
> (defun myws ()
>   (restore-from-file "~/bin/stump/desktop.stump")
>   (run-commands "exec totem")
>   (run-shell-command "sleep 5s")
>   (run-commands "fnext")
>   (run-commands "emacs")
>   (run-shell-command "sleep 5s")
>   (run-commands "fnext")
>   (run-commands "exec firefox"))
>
> (myws)
>
> I restore the desktop layout (which works) and then attempt to fill the frames with running
> programs. I thought "sleep 5s" would help, but it didn't.
>
> I also tried using:
>
>  (restore-from-file "~/bin/stump/desktop.stump")
>  (run-commands "exec totem" "fselect 1" "emacs" "fselect 2" "exec firefox")
>
> And:
>
>  (restore-from-file "~/bin/stump/desktop.stump")
>  (run-commands "exec totem" "fnext" "emacs" "fnext" "exec firefox")
>
> In each case, the programs all come up perfectly, but I just can't seem to have them start up in
> the appropriate frames I have set up for them.

Did you setup some window placement rules?

Here is part of the things that I am doing:

,----
| ;; Clear rules
| (clear-window-placement-rules)
|
| (define-frame-preference "System"
|   ;; frame raise lock (lock AND raise == jumpto)
|   (0 t   t :title "htop")
|   (0 t   t :title "aumix")
|   )
|
| (define-frame-preference "Default"
|   ;; frame raise lock (lock AND raise == jumpto)
|   (0 t   t :title "emacs")
| ;;  (0 t   t :class "Xpdf")
|   )
|
| (define-frame-preference "Misc"
|   ;; frame raise lock (lock AND raise == jumpto)
|   (0 t   t :class "Firefox")
|   )
|
| (run-commands "gnewbg System" "gnewbg Misc")
`----

The important thing is to find out the match properties for your applications.

I use show-window-properties to display them. I have bound it to the
root-map to make the command easy accessible:

(define-key *root-map* (kbd "I") "show-window-properties")

Stefan.