Re: [STUMP] Contrib

From: Scott Jaderholm
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Contrib
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 14:24:45 -0500

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Michael Raskin <address@hidden> wrote:
> * Being in the main repo makes users aware of the contrib software's
>   existence.  Debatable: this stuff is not mentioned in the stumpwm
>   manual so I suspect most users find out about stuff that might be
>   useful to them on IRC or the web.
>
>What if instead we had a database of stumpwm add-ons that were hosted
>elsewhere?  This could be something as simple as a wiki page or a
>full-blown system with reviews, comments etc if anybody cared to make
>it.
>
>The authors of the add-ons could maintain their software in their own
>repos (including non-git repos if they have some strange aversion to
>git), and users could keep it up to date from there.  The packages
>could use asdf to make it convenient to load them from stumpwmrc.

Debian user sees a package StumpWM in package list, installs it, says
"Hm", reads manual, wants some examples. Aha, contrib! This helps,
thanks.

Some users first try to check everything installed with the package
before deciding whether to go to homepage

Perhaps you have a bash script in contrib directory called download-contrib.sh that goes to the contrib wiki page, finds a list of repos, and downloads them, or if their already downloaded could git pull them. Not sure how about security, permissions when contrib is in system dir, or asdf.

Scott