Re: [STUMP] stumpwm-goodies for a better stump experience

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [STUMP] stumpwm-goodies for a better stump experience
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 12:32:04 -0700

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 1:59 AM, Joel Fernandes <address@hidden> wrote:
> A Little contribution to the stumpwm community.
> stumpwm-goodies is a collection of enhancements (in the form of
> extensions - no change made directly to stumpwm)

Hi Joel, thanks for sharing your code! See my feedback, below.

> . Laptop Panel brightness
>  A python script that changes laptop panel brightness.
>  A few lines have to be added to .stumprc to map your brightness Fn
> keys (mentioned in its README)

It'd be interesting to find out how the python module adjusts the
brightness and possibly implement that directly. Do you know if that's
plausible?

> . Mode Line
>  A bunch of lisp extensions for mode-line (gives you battery, ip
> addr, date, cpu usage etc..)

Have you looked at the modeline modules in contrib/? A lot of these
features are already implemented. Perhaps you could merge any missing
features?

In modeline-config.lisp, a lot of the functions run shell commands to
gather information. Since stumpwm is compiled with cl-ppcre (perl
compatible regular expressions), it'd more stylistically sound and
possibly faster to do the processing in your lisp functions. In the
case of stuff like:

(run-shell-command "cat /home/joel/emacs-jabber-mail.temp" t)

This would probably be better done as: (with-open-file (s
(make-pathname :name "emacs-jabber-mail" :type "temp" :defaults
(user-homedir-pathname))) (read-line s))

That way it's all done in lisp and it's not hardcoded for your username.

I like the looks of modeline-gmail.lisp. Did you commit your gmail
password to a public git repo or is icylispy just a dummy name? If you
could add some documentation to the top of that file so people know
how to use it, I'll add it to contrib.

-Shawn