Re: [STUMP] Watchdog code

From: Julian Stecklina
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Watchdog code
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:21:37 +0200

Fredrik Tolf <address@hidden> writes:

> There appears to be a bug in SBCL that may make its process-wait
> function hang indefinitely under some circumstances. Since it's hard to
> debug such a condition when it is the window manager that hangs, I wrote
> a watchdog module to ease debugging.
>
> I'm attaching the file, so if you find it useful, please use it. Mind
> you, it's just for debugging, and not intended as an actual work-around
> for the problem. :)

The current consensus on sbcl-devel seems to be that the problem is a
race condition due to run-program's use of SIGCHLD to get notified of
changes to the child's status.

I am currently rewriting run-program to not do that anymore. I hope this
fixes the last long standing issue with SBCL as stumpwm host.

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

Well, take it from an old hand: the only reason it would be easier to
program in C is that you can't easily express complex problems in C,
so you don't. - Erik Naggum (in comp.lang.lisp)