Re: [STUMP] Re: c-string decoding error (:external-format :UTF-8): the o

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Re: c-string decoding error (:external-format :UTF-8): the octet
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:16:36 +0200

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 08:55:25 -0500 Jay Belanger wrote:

> David Hansen wrote:
>> Got that backtrace (with the backtrace patch that's somewhere
>> in the moderator queue) after C-t c:
>
> Same here.  It doesn't happen when stumpwm first starts, everything
> works fine then.  I only get this problem when stumpwm has been running
> for a little while.  My entire error message is:
>
> Error In Command 'NewTerm': c-string decoding error (:external-format
>                                        :UTF-8):
>                                          the octet sequence 3 cannot be
> decoded.
>

> In my .stumpwmrc, I have:
>
> (defcommand NewTerm () ()
>   (run-shell-command "xterm"))
>
> and my sbcl version is:
>
> [~]> sbcl --version
> SBCL 1.0.11.debian
>
>> SBCL stumpwm users can workaround this by making sure that
>> DISPLAY is set when starting SBCL/stumpwm.  stumpwm won't
>> touch the environment then.
>
> How would I do this?  I'm running Ubuntu, and gdm starts stumpwm with my
> .xsession.

Where found you this freakin' old message?!  I don't remember correctly
what this was about... I think there was an SBCL bug in `setenv'.  I
reported it but don't know if it ever got fixed...  The only problem I
have right now with it is that (sometimes ?) the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
variable disappears, but I suspect that it has something to do with my
odd setup and restarting stump w/o restarting X.

To answer your question, something like DISPLAY=:0.0 in your .Xsession
should do it, but this is a looong time ago, I have no idea if it's the
same bug or not.  Hmm, actually DISPLAY should only be set in .Xsession.
Better grep the stumpwm source for `setenv' and figure out if stumpwm is
still using it and somehow work around it (e.g. your own wrapper around
libc setenv).

David