Re: [STUMP] Stumpwm crashes when there is incorrect utf-8 in windows tit

From: Bob Farrell
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Stumpwm crashes when there is incorrect utf-8 in windows title
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:30:17 +0100

(Sorry, sabetts, for mailing to your personal address by accident).

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 02:50:17AM -0700, Shawn Betts wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Alexey Lebedeff <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > The app that created incorrect title was Licq.
> > I made a small change in sbcl variant, so now invalid utf-8 is ignored.
> >
> > It's not perfect, because it replaces whole title with "<Invalid>" when
> > encounters incorrect utf-8, but this is enough for me.
>
> Is clisp affected by incorrect utf-8 from licq?
>
> A slightly better fix might be to have a fallback function that just
> converts each octet to a character and for any octet that doesnt have
> a character use ?. It'll still look corrupted but at least something
> half readable might come in..depending on the string. Anyone have
> better ideas?

You could allow a table in the .stumpwmrc for bytestrings and their
user-set ASCII/utf-8/whatever representations. It sounds like it's a
pretty limited problem, so perhaps manually accounting for corner cases
would work, if there's no robust programmatic solution.