Re: [STUMP] interactive command in symbol plist

From: Howard Yeh
Subject: Re: [STUMP] interactive command in symbol plist
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 13:16:12 -0700

> How would you do tab completion?
>
> -Shawn

The advantage of storing interactive in symbol-plist is we can use the
Common Lisp package mechanism.

So for tab completion, we'd need to define a "home package", similar
to CL-USER. To list all the interactive commands, filter through the
symbols of the home package.

There might be other advantages as well. We might have
context-specific commands. For example, some commands might work only
in minibuffer, and some commands might work only if the focused window
is emacs (I'd like some kind of application specific behaviour, to
avoid keybinding conflicts. *). We can put context-specific commands
in separate packages, and by detecting the current-context, expand
only the available commands.

* Most programs don't bind to most keys. It makes perfect senes to
bind C-1 to group-1 at the top level. But we need special treatment
for Emacs. Perhaps for certain applications, we can hit C-t to enter a
spring-loaded mode for stumpwm (escapes after, say, 5 seconds) to
destroy windows, launch programs, etc.

Anyway, I think it's an awful waste not to bind to C-1,C-2... etc only
becaues emacs might bind to them. (I use emacs : )