Re: [STUMP] Mode-line not updating at right times

From: cothrige
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Mode-line not updating at right times
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:43:00 -0600

On Dec 10, 2007 4:47 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> All I can say is that it works under clisp. I have much
> dynamic content on my mode-line with an update freq of 1sec.
> It wouldn't surprise me at all if rebuilding SBCL without
> threads fixes it.

I don't think I have threads actually, though I have never been entirely sure.
Using debian I have to compile SBCL myself since with the default apt
version it will become impossibly sluggish under any kind of load.  But, I have
to admit I am lost about how to configure SBCL.  Reading the README there
is something about a file listing features, but it really says nothing
about when
where such a file should be created or used, and so on.  For that reason,
I simply compile SBCL with the defaults, but at least it has never hung up
on me or bogged down and become useless, as the debian package does.
If I list *FEATURES* I don't see anything about threads, but I still am not
quite entirely sure about it.

I do prefer CLISP, and in the past used it.  I like the fact that it
is much lighter.
When I first startx with the sbcl stumpwm, it takes about three
seconds to go, and
uses something along the lines of sixty megs of memory.  Clisp starts
in a literal
flash, and uses about forty.  But, for some reason I cannot seem to get stumpwm
to compile against clisp right now.  I just get errors.  That has happened to
me in the past, and I have managed to get through it by compiling clisp myself,
much like sbcl there seems to be something about the debian packages
that stumpwm just doesn't like, but this time it hasn't worked so far.
 Even with
my own clisp built and installed, stumpwm is just not wanting to go.
I do intend
to keep going, but I am not sure I can get it to work.  So, I had hoped to maybe
figure out what is happening right now so that things will work better
this way too.

I guess my luck has been better. ;-)

Patrick