Re: [STUMP] Too slow popups with Eclipse

From: malnourite
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Too slow popups with Eclipse
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:19:10 -0500

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007, Daniel Clemente wrote:
>   Could that information be included somewhere in the documentation?
>   Somewhere about which LISP to choose, how to compile one, what
> problems to expect, what do the experts recommend, ...
>
>   I find it very difficult and user-unfriendly to compile stumpwm
> correctly; having to discover and compile so many things is a big fuss
> even for programmers.
>   I have already spent several hours compiling and customizing  sbcl,
> clisp with mit-clx, cl-ppcre, stumpwm, and other things needed for the
> occasion (clocc, git). And still I can't get everything to run.
>
>    What plans are there to simplify that?
>    Maybe...?
>
> - ask for a release of CLISP (the last one is a year old)
>
> - add clear instructions to the documentation about the requisites
> that are needed, but precisely: version numbers which work, which
> don't work, suggestions, ...
>
> - add a test program at „configure" which checks that the system is
> optimized to compile stumpwm: ex. prints warnings like „With SBCL, you
> should better disable multi-threading, otherwise stumpwm will run
> slow"
>
> - provide an already compiled stumpwm (ex: with CLISP)
>
> - provide an already compiled CLISP from CVS which has everything
> needed. This avoids compiling it from CVS.
>
> - more documentation! Ex: a step-by-step guide about getting and
> compiling CLISP and after that stumpwm
>
> - from time to time make a .tar.gz. version of the code in git. (I
> happened to be in a computer without git and I had to compile it).
> Actually that means „make a release".
>

>    I know that CLISP or SBCL are external to stumpwm, but if they fail
> or are so complex, this affects stumpwm.
>
>    And for the documentation, the wiki is already a very good place; I
> will also write there instead of just complaining here :-)

Sounds like you just volunteered. I find that the best
people to improve the quality of installation are people who
actually install. At some point we will have a Debian
package with a functioning executable (preferably clisp) and
no one will complain about these issues--or even realize
that StumpWM is written in Common Lisp. I think Lisp
software in general suffers from user-unfriendliness.

If you'd like to provide a pre-compiled CVS clisp package
for people to use, that would be a great help--but it won't
help everybody.

I don't think providing tarballs will really improve
anyone's situation, although it's not a bad idea.

Detailed instructions regarding SBCL and clisp, while
useful, are really outside the scope of StumpWM's
documentation. It would be better to eliminate such
digressions and instead point to some external resource.

Everyone agrees that StumpWM could be easier to get running,
but it's going to require a properly motivated individual to
get us there.

--
Oct 11 2007,
John Moore Liles