Re: [STUMP] Binary too big?

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Binary too big?
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:04:40 -0700

On 9/10/07, Daniel Clemente <address@hidden> wrote:

> I just created the FAQ today, so it doesn't have much on it. Feel
> free to add your questions and I or someone will answer them.
> http://stumpwm.antidesktop.net/cgi-bin/wiki/FAQ

  Thanks, that will be very useful.

  So, stumpwm is so big because there's a complete Lisp implementation
there, which allows you to execute any Lisp code on the run. That's
good, but I thought one could also have a totally compiled version in
which no new code can be added on the run and therefore no interpreter
is needed.

Hi Daniel,

That would be really neat. There are other components that I
think one could strip out of sbcl, but I don't know how to do
it. There's a file in the sbcl source distro,
contrib/stale-symbols.lisp, that might be useful. I imagine one
could run through the sbcl symbols and at least partly
automatically cull them before dumping an image. It'd be
interesting what sort of size difference this would make. Another
possibility might be to get the memory of each symbol occupies
and start from the top, culling the worst offenders that one
doesn't need.

There may already be facilities to do this, I just haven't looked
into it much. If you feel like poking around, let us know what you find!

  I tried with clisp (+mit-clx, all from CVS) but there were so many
problems and Lisp error messages that I abandoned temporarily. I will
try later.

If you post the errors you got maybe we can help solve the problem.

-Shawn