Re: [STUMP] My .stumpwmrc and a modified display-keybinding

From: gwern branwen
Subject: Re: [STUMP] My .stumpwmrc and a modified display-keybinding
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 15:01:43 -0500

BTW, you could also probably scrap 'display-keybinding'; Sabbets
apparently added a cleaner version to user.lisp.

--Gwern

On 1/5/07, gwern branwen <address@hidden> wrote:
On 1/4/07, Luigi Panzeri <address@hidden> wrote:

> I post my .stumpwmrc including a modeline updater (sbcl only) showing
> time, volume and mldonkey stats, a define-group-layout (working but it
> s an hack) to force a window matching some query to stay in a
> group/frame. Also attach a modified display-keybinding that group the
> commands with same action and display them ordered by keys.
>
> I switch from few days to stumpwm. Nice wm, expecially for scripting
> and fast hacking, though it was a bit unstable. How do you try new
> configuration and develop it avoiding crash or saving backtrace?

I guess you are already using Slime? It's good for nonfatal stuff, but
I really haven't found a way to work with Stump when you are poking
around with fatal errors. :) I suppose you could always have .xinitrc
fire up Emacs and work from there.

Anyway.

An interesting .stumpwmrc; you wrote some nice stuff. Some comments:

What's with the '(require 'cl-ppcre)'? I don't see any regexps used,
and it's one more dependency which needs to be loaded in and which
could be screwed up.

On a stylistic note, you probably replace stuff like the 'substitute'
you are running on shell output with a pipeline to 'tr'; this is
probably more portable - where would you run Stumpwm where there
*isn't* the basic complement of Unix commands? And it makes the output
useful for non-Stumpwm purposes. Similarly, your 'show-time' command
is better done by a call to 'date', in my opinion.

I've isolated the Swank and Slime stuff in my .sbclrc instead of
putting them in my .stumpwmrc. Just seemed a more appropriate place.

The 'colon1' function has been obsoleted by the Stumpwm function
'colon', so you can just scrap that.

Your 'update-mode-line' is interesting. How is it an improvement over,
or otherwise better than the one floating round:
(defun update-mode-line () "Update the mode-line sooner than usual."
  (let ((screen (current-screen)))
    (when (screen-mode-line screen)
      (redraw-mode-line-for (screen-mode-line screen) screen))))

--Gwern