Re: [STUMP] Re: conkeror

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Re: conkeror
Date: 28 Oct 2004 19:24:16 -0700

Nikolai Weibull <address@hidden> writes:

> Your sent date is weird...

Fixed.

> How do you input URLs btw?  I see no bar in the screenshot. My current
> setup is
>
> [URL bar]
> [Tab bar]
> +-------+
> |       |
> |browser|
> |       |
> +-------+
> [Status ]
>
> And when I want to search I type '/' and a search bar pops up above the
> status bar which even has a highlight-all switch.  This is new in the
> firefox pre-release.
>
> I alo browse with a caret, which works nicely for moving around.

I didn't use it for long but I found it to be a bit difficult. It
seemed to get stuck and I could navigate the whole page with it. But
that may have been just me.

> So, if you'll indulge me, how is conkeror's setup different?

Sure! The layout looks like this:

+-----------+
|           |
|   browser |
|           |
+-----------+
[mode-line  ]
[minibuffer ]

The minibuffer doubles as input and output. All status messages are
sent to it. If you hit 'g' then you get an URL prompt in the
minibuffer.

There are no tabs. But Conkeror has multiple browsers. Hit C-x b and
you can select one. It has junky tab completion. But I'll be
implementing something like iswitchb. You type a substring and all
matches are shown in a list:

iswitch ratp {http://ratpoison.sf.net, http://ratpoison.elektrubadur.se/, ...}

Use C-r and C-s cycle forward and back through the matches. It's
brilliant. But I should stop bragging about a feature not yet written :).

There's i-search, which is like typeahead but it's what they meant to
do. When you search for a match it will only find matches below the
top of the window until you wrap. it's almost identical to emacs'
i-search.

It has numbered links. So you just have to type the number of the link
rather than navigate a cursor or a mouse pointer to it.

there's input history (rather than yer standard browser
autocomplete). C-p C-n goes through the history.

I added some hacks to send the current URL to the X clipboard and
import the X clipboard into the mozilla internal clipboard
thingy. This has always bugged me about mozilla and it seems like a
stupid enough thing that there's gotta be a way to shut it off. I
don't know how tho.

That's most of it, I think.

-Shawn