straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] notification area item and stuff

From: Olivier Crete
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] notification area item and stuff
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 23:13:00 +0200 (CEST)

Hey,

I've got the notification area thingy to work.. its available at in my
arch tree athttp://linux.ensimag.fr/~tester/straw-arch-2004/
archive name: address@hidden
module+revision: straw--mainline--2004--0.24-patch2

What it does currently it show the straw icon in the notification area
when there are unread news. The icon goes away when there are no longer
any unread news. I'm not showing the icon when there is nothing to notify
about because it should be a notification area.. not a useless system tray
where we have to hide part of the icons like some other operating systems
do. The icon will disapear (ie die) and not come back if the notification
area (or the panel for that matter) dies. This is really a deficiency of
the eggtrayicon widget.. And fixing the whole notification area thing in
gnome is my next project.. If its really required, I will do it (like most
other users of the eggtray). Ohh also, when clicking on the icon, the
window will be presented (ie made visible and show right in your face) and
the next unread message will be shown (like the "space" shortcut inside
straw). The count of unread messages is shown in the tooltip
Olivier