cicero : We msiss a configure option.

From: Didier Spaier
Subject: cicero : We msiss a configure option.
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 11:51:53 +0100

Hello,

On 16/12/2018 01:17, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Didier Spaier, le ven. 14 d?c. 2018 18:27:13 +0100, a ecrit:
>> The simplest way would be to use a configure
>> option:
>> with-cicero=no
>> but this option does not exist.
>>
>> Samuel, could you please add it?
>
> I'm not sure to understand: what would this option do?  Just disable
> building the module?  How is this useful

I would like to avoid that cicero appears in the list of synthesizers,
when no line beginning with #AddModule in /etc/speech-dispatcher/ is
uncommented. Currently cicero appears then in the output of spd-say -O
as well as in the Person drop-down list of orca, even if cicero is not
installed and the configuration file /etc/speech-dispatcher/cicero.conf
is removed.

The indeed result is that people cicero doesn't appear in the
list of available synths if it is not available.

I understand that in most cases at least one #AddModule line will be
uncommented, but this is not the default.

Maybe a general solution would be to allow listing a module, found in an
#AddModule line if and only if both following conditions are met:
1) The config file does exist
2) A needed binary is present, checked as you did in commit e3ff991:
"generic modules: check for actual availability of binaries"
but extending this check to all modules.

> Didier Spaier, le ven. 14 d?c. 2018 18:58:13 +0100, a ecrit:
>> I don't know if anybody else tried it recently
>> but I won't complain if you remove this module
>> completely.
>
> Removing it would mean that if anybody wants to revive cicero, it'll
> be a bit harder for her/him to do so.

OK, let's keep it then.