Generic Module Severely Broken!

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: Generic Module Severely Broken!
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:40:17 -0700

I never tried with espeak-generic but it sure blows with
swift-generic.  I'll try espeak-generic to see what happens here.

I think part of my problem may be caused by my recent installation of
Pulse (what a hassle) but I've pretty much restored normal ALSA
functionality but swift (Cepstral) uses OSS.  But I even got the error
after I removed the black-listing of snd-pcm-oss.  so not totally sure
what is wrong here.  One thing I have observed however, is if I test
swift by itself, it speaks ok but as soon as I start up
speech-dispatcher, then if I run swift, I then get an error that it
cannot open /dev/dsp.  It's like speechd has either locked up that
device or killed it some how.

But on my other machine, the new HP laptop, I didn't mess with any
pulseaudio stuff and speechd is acting the same way over there too.
So something else has changed to cause the generic module to be so
fragile.  In both cases, I use the aplay command to cause the
generated wav file to be heard.