autorespawn for crashed modules

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: autorespawn for crashed modules
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:07:05 +0200

On 30.9.2010 01:01, Halim Sahin wrote:
> What do you think about an autorespawn feature for crashed modules?
> This would be a great improovment because the new autorespawn feature in
> sd is only useful when the whole server crasshes.

Well, autospawn is not designed because of eliminating
crashes :) but you are right that it is its side effect and that
in a hackish way, it kind of improves the user experience.

On the other hand, reloading crashed modules makes quite
good sense. Especially in the situation when they have to use
third party libraries, which can be quite unstable (as with IBM TTS)
and are beyond our control.

Would you mind first sending a proposal to the list, of how
exactly it should work? We can than make it part of the
documentation and then implement it.

Currently, Speech Dispatcher detects crashed modules
and it tries to switch to another module (fallback). I think this
is not incorrect. If your default is Festival and you do not
have festival_server running, just restarting festival module
again and again won't help, and it is appropriate to switch
to e.g. espeak to keep your speech running and give you
a possibility to resolve the problem.

On the other hand, if you want to use IBM TTS, and it
crashes from time to time, of course you want to restart
IBM TTS, not switch to espeak.

Best regards,
Hynek Hanke