my memory management patches

From: Christopher Brannon
Subject: my memory management patches
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:24:53 -0500

Hello all, I'm about to send the first patch of a series.  After these
are applied, the code will use GLib's memory management functions
exclusively.  Right now, we mix memory allocators.  Some functions
return memory allocated by GLib, while others return memory allocated by
libc.  There are a couple of cases in which the allocator depends on a
conditional.  The function might return GLib-allocated memory, or it
might return libc-allocated memory, varying from one call to the next.
Sometimes, memory allocated with libc is freed with g_free, and vice
versa.  The GLib docs recommend against mixing allocators, so it seems
good to use GLib consistently.

These patches will be big.  I can't really split them up much further.
I'll send one per directory.

-- Chris