the libao driver

From: Chris Brannon
Subject: the libao driver
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 07:34:31 -0500

I'm replying to an old thread.

Hynek Hanke wrote:
> On 24.8.2010 16:00, Chris Brannon wrote:
> >    Also, I notice a delay when trying to stop speech
> > with the libao driver.  I'm not sure what causes it.
> >

> That sounds like something connected with buffering
> settings. From what I've seen, our latency requirements
> are quite special compared to other applications in the
> desktop world, so I think the important think is whether
> libao allows us to negotiate these requirements with the
> target audio system (like the various buffering parameters
> in Pulse Audio etc.).

There's a serious deficiency in the libao library: it doesn't have
any sort of stop function.
Basically, when a module tells the libao driver to stop, it simply
quits sending data to the library.  That is all, and there is no way
to do anything more.
E.G., it is not possible to tell the library to stop playing what it already
has in its buffers.

-- Chris